If you’re reading this article you’re probably a.) Dating a journalist, b.) Wanting to date a journalist or c.) You are a journalist and want to know what others think about dating you (and of course you want to know if this article holds true and factual for journalism and self validation purposes).
So let’s start with the basics. What is a Journalist? Well of course we already know the literal meaning, but you’re probably wondering what “sort” of person a journalist is. For the benefit of definition (and adding more words to my word count), a journalist may either be doing one of the five types of journalism mainly: Investigative, News, Reviews, Columns or Feature Writing.
But what is a journalist like? Well we’ll go in depth into that later on. First I would describe what comes at the top of my head when I hear the word JOURNALIST. A journalist (well at least for me) is a creative, intelligent and sexy person with sometimes crazy thoughts, feelings and idiosyncrasies. They maybe people who can multitask really well (e.g. talking to you and yet thinking about the article they will be writing later on). Journalists are passionate people who can sometimes be introverts and extroverts at the same time.
They can be very busy though and over committed to their work and often journalists (especially younger ones) like to get a FWB or Friend with benefits as it fits better with their chaotic lifestyles. Not sure what friends with benefits actually are or want to learn more? If so you can read this http://www.thelovequeen.com/friends-with-benefits-advice/. Of course there are journalists like me who can and do want committed relationships!
There is an organized chaotic picture that comes into my head when I see the word “journalist” in my mind’s eye. For the benefit of you guys and gals reading this let me try to put it in a more ordered list.
List 1: The Ups of Dating a Journalist
- They are extremely good conversationalists – They can talk about massive sorts of topics in different fields. Some may be a bit shy at first, but once you get them going they can spark a 1000 word explanation of why blue can be a color for girls in about five minutes or less. You can grow old with this person and still enjoy talking to them even if you’ve known and loved them for years.
- They can be mysteriously sexy – They are beautiful creatures that have an immense amount of sex appeal. They may just be in their PJs with their hair all tousled and glasses lopsided but they carry this aura that you just can’t resist. They know how to work the power of intrigue just like writing their stories and news articles. Its a balance of having the artistic capability to write well and the intelligence to put facts into a commanding article.
- They are great at adapting to people and situations – Given that journalists have to interact with various sorts of people and go about different kinds of situations, they can be more flexible. They may have a bit more tolerance for crazy stuff you may have going on. They are probably more adventurous than most. If something is truly relevant to them they will take the time for it. This comes from the sheer need to put patience when you need to investigate on something. If they want to get to know you they will get to know you. If they think that you, singing on an open mike is pretty important, you can expect them to be there.
- They know the essence of time – Being time pressed and always bound for deadlines has given journalists the practice of knowing the value of time. They may procrastinate at times but if the put their heart into something and they know it is time sensitive then they will make an effort to “meet the deadline”. If they are not trying to finish an article and you really need them to do something at an exact time more or less (if they think its important) they will do it.
List 2: The Downside of Dating a Journalist
- They can have weird behaviors – Most journalists need to get into the zone in order for them to their work. Sometimes getting to that point can require a few quirky steps. They may want to do yoga while listening to rock music, drink coffee infused with vodka, take a shower without really taking a shower just because hearing the water flow out helps them think better. They may be a bit OC sometimes (or all the time). They may want to clean the entire house before they start writing (which entails your help). A lot of weird things that other people may not get. Be patient. All of these helps them to think. Sometimes they want to nitpick stuff because part of being a journalist is being great with details.
- They can sometimes zone out – If they are trying to beat the deadline or if they have to interview someone really important, chances are they can ignore you; like TOTALLY ignore you. Their mind is else where trying to put a great piece together. You can invite them to the movies, you can invite them to eat, hell you can invite them for an amazing massage followed by an amazing sex but they will ignore you. Writing is their first love. Yes they love you too or like you a lot but they have got to do this. If you start saying that why are they treating you like you don’t exist and put on some drama, chances are they will run.
- They can be like the FBI – They have eagle eyes. They can spot lying a mile away. This is what they do for a living and they can try to profile you in an instant. Journalists can investigate facts and use them against you. They can make a mental picture of what you’ve done in the past and put it out when you guys argue. The great thing though about their investigative talents is that sometimes they can use that to help you out. Bad news is that lying to them can be futile.
- They can be manipulative – Journalists can be master manipulators. They are good with words. They can talk you into things. They can make something important trivial and vice versa. It comes from their ability to make a mundane story be controversial and turning a big news to unimportant.
So there. Those are the ups and downs of dating or having a relationship with a journalist. It can be crazy at times but it can be so much fun too. (I just hope my husband doesn’t read this or else he might find out how manipulative I can be!)